Friday, April 4, 2014

Why do you ride?


This week, I was fortunate enough to attend an amazing sports psychology seminar put on by Kate Bennett of Athlete Insight.  Although the topic was geared more towards racing, I found several really helpful tips and tools that I think would easily apply to commuters.  One of the topics discussed that really hit home for me was goal setting.  This is a great subject to talk about, particularly when it comes to chatting with new women about commuting. As Kate explained, there are various aspects of goal setting (both goals and values) and it's only when you make a connection between the two that you find your true motivation.  I starting thinking of this from the perspective of commuting and asked myself, "why do I ride?"  Was it for the health benefits, the freedom of being on 2 wheels or knowing that I'm doing something environmentally friendly?  My answer.....all of the above!  I've always been a health enthusiast, am obsessed with being on a bike, and want to strive to protect Mother Earth.  To me, commuting is more than just getting from point A to B, it's about the journey, the excitement and taking time to reflect on why it is I'm doing what I'm doing.  

I think each of us ride for a different reason, purpose, and/or goal.  So my question to you is....why do you ride?  :-)












1 comment:

cyclist-lawyer said...

Thanks for sharing Dawn! Kate is so awesome.