Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Year of the Bike

On April 29th 2013, nearly on a whim, I thought I would try riding a bike to work. I borrowed a friend's bike and off I went. The next week I bought my own bike. I biked more miles that week than I had in the last 15 years combined. I was hooked. Twelve months later, I have biked over 3000 miles (nearly all of them commuting miles). To commemorate what has been a fantastic year, below are twelve lessons I learned during 'The Year of the Bike'.

Twelve Lessons

1. Bike riding is so fun! Remember when you were a kid, how fun it was to go ride bikes? I'm going to let you in on a little secret, it is STILL fun. Cruising down the bike trail on the way to or from work you might be surprised by a giddy rush of exhilaration. Getting to inject your daily grind with this level of fun makes you wish you would have started years ago.
2. You will learn and love your city. I have worked in downtown Denver for nearly eleven years, riding mass transit everyday for the first 9, but after a year of experiencing the city by bike I feel like I know it better than ever.
3. Bike commuting will make you better at everything else. Want to get into running? Excited for the upcoming hiking season? Whatever you are into (or want to become a part of) biking will pave the way.  I attribute my commute to achieving 2nd overall female ultimate climber in the 2014 Fight for Air Climb. Powering your own commute by bike is an amazing way to get in better shape!
4. Everyday is bike to work day. When I first got my bike, I thought I would ride 'once or twice' a week, and only during the summer. Once I discovered how fun it was, I became a year-round commuter.  Denver has fairly mild winters making year-round bike commuting an easy choice.
5. Bike commuting will make you a better driver. I have always considered myself a good driver, but a year on the bike has made me better. I am more aware of people on bikes and make a more concerted effort to better share our roads.
6. Your thoughts about transportation will change. For years I never even considered bike commuting, my mind, like many others, was car-centric. A year of bike commuting made me realize that bikes are not an alternate form of transportation, they ARE transportation.
7. You might become a zealot. Now that I have been converted, I can't wait to encourage others. Daily bike commuting has been the single best change I have made in years.
8. You will get healthier. It almost seems like a side benefit, behind all of the fun you'll be having, but daily bike commuting will have a positive impact on your health. Without any added effort besides getting to work and back every day, you will easily be achieving recommendations for daily activity. You will get some fresh air. You will have a chance to 'un-plug'.  You might shed some extra pounds.  You will reduce your risk for a host of nasty diseases.
9. There is (almost) no such thing as bad weather. I used to be such a fair weather outdoor enthusiast, daily commuting has changed that too. Aside from copious amounts of ice and or snow, nothing will keep me off the bike trail. Once you are out in it, it never seems too bad. Plus you'll never have to scrape windows or let your bike warm up, it is always ready to go!
10. You are the captain of your own ship! After years of bus commuting, the freedom of bike commuting is a thrill.  Traveling by bike allows you to stop and check things out.  From unplanned brewery visits to surprise wildlife encounters, being on your bike lets you dictate the terms of your commute, in a way transit or cars simply can't.  My bike route parallels portions of I-25 and Santa Fe Drive, and as I sail past cars idling in traffic, I wish I could encourage them to hop on a bike instead.
11. You can bike thousands of miles a year, and still not own any lycra shorts or a super fancy bike. It has been 365 days since I started bike commuting. In that time I have ridden 3,000 miles. I don't own any lycra. I don't know much about bikes. I don't consider myself an 'avid cyclist'.  I don't know anything about bike sports.  These are not bragging points or confessions of ignorance, but rather facts that hopefully will encourage others who may be intimidated by pricey bike gear or snobby 'weekend warriors'.
12. Your faith in humanity will be bolstered. When was the last time a fellow motorist smiled and waved at you, marveling, however briefly in your joyful, shared experience? If you exclude the 'ol one finger salute, my guess is rarely. Yet on a bike, this happens all the time. There is an instant camaraderie in bike riding, that springs from the fun of being on a bike.  While car commuting can be an isolating experience, bike commuting makes you feel like you are in a secret club.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this- great motivator and completely true!

Carol said...

Tiffany! This is amazing! All stemmed from borrowing your friend's bike once. WOW!

Dawn Orwick said...

This is so great and really inspiring!!! Thanks for sharing Tiffany!