Thursday, April 24, 2014

Biking and Femininity - Does it exist? Do we care?


A fantastic article that I came across which discusses some of the challenges women face when it comes to cycling and femininity.  It includes some great insight from other women commuters around the country on what societal constraints are placed on women ("Women are expected to show up to places already presentable"), in addition to the constraints that we put on ourselves ("I know many women worry about showing up to work sweaty after biking. I have yet to run into a man that shares that concern").  

My two cents on the subject of being feminine on a bike is, when I jump on my bike, whether it's road, mountain or downhill, my mind is set on accomplishing 2 things:
  • Achieve my particular goal for the day (whether it's getting home from work, honing my MTB skills, conquering a road training session or enjoying a relaxing ride to the coffee shop)
  • Have FUN!!
Given my goal-oriented approach to cycling, I devote little to no time worrying about my outfit or what others may think of it.  In my opinion, you can wear whatever you like, as long as it's comfortable, safe, and just makes sense.  I'm certainly not going to show up to a mountain bike ride decked out in heels in a skirt just to prove to the guys that I'm not one of them.  However, I admit that I did buy black & pink body armor for downhilling, but in my defense, it also fit much better than the men's body armor option.  :-)  Nonetheless, I think it's important for women to keep things in perspective and not let the pressure from others dictate how you ride your bike. 

“Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel…the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood.”
-Susan B. Anthony

No comments: