Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Grittier side

We all joke about the grittier side of bike commuting.  The guy hawking nice TVs under the bridge.  The weird old man who yells inappropriate things as you ride by.  But yesterday I came upon something that I was not prepared for.

I was riding down the bike path in a drainage ditch, and I saw a person off to the side of the path.  I slowed down and said "Are you ok? Do you need help?"  I realized she was shaking.  And her clothes were dirty.  And she was soaking wet.  I stopped.  "Hey, are you ok?  Can I call someone for you?"  No response.

A family was walking by on the overpass and offered to call 911.  While they called 911 I leaned my bike against the wall and approached the woman, talking to her the whole time.  I put my hand on her shoulder, telling her that I wanted to help her.  No response.  Then one of the kids on the bridge yelled, "The cops are pulling up behind you!"  Sure enough an officer had driven up the bike path.  He rolled the woman over and took her pulse.  Luckily she was still breathing, but her pulse was faint.  Her face was blue.  She was probably 20 years old.  He said a bunch of codes into his radio and looked at me.  "The paramedics are on the way.  You didn't see anything did you?"

"No, she was like that when I pulled up."
"It was probably a suicide attempt. There is nothing we can do.  You can keep riding."
"Ok.  Thanks."

As I rode away I heard sirens converging on the area.  I felt sad and confused and scared.  It took me a while to process this, it won't stop me from bike commuting.  We are all confronted with sad and uncomfortable events, but they just have to be dealt with. I think most everyone would agree that they are better or stronger people for dealing with STUFF rather than being sheltered.  Perhaps it widens our understanding and compassion.  I hope so.  And I hope that woman can now get the help she needs.




1 comment:

LydiaH said...

Oh my gosh... how sad. :( Good for you for stopping. Hopefully she's ok!!