Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Unpleasant encounters on the road

Well, today I had my first experience with a driver very displeased with my presence on the road. I was cruising along and suddenly a white Lexus RX comes dangerously close to me.  He lays on his horn and promptly swerves in to me. Well, immediate in front of me.  Clearly making a point. I was so taken aback and focused on maintaining my lane and composure that I didn't get his license plate number.  After a few seconds I suddenly was furious!  I was obeying the rules. I was being a cautious, predictable, and a safe cyclist.  I put it in to high gear and pedaled my butt off. I wanted to catch up at the next light and take a picture of his car and plate and make sure he saw me doing it. As I pushed my legs harder and my heart rate higher, reason set in. I did catch up with him a few miles later at a stop light and I committed his plate to memory and just let it go.

As a bike commuter and a car driver, I know why my presence on the road will anger people. I'm going half the speed limit in places. I am forcing people to slow down and preventing them from getting to their destination in a timely fashion. I pose a potential risk to drivers because they don't know how to predict my next move. Will I swerve over that pothole to the left, or to the right?  I get it. I just wish that they recognized that I am doing everything to be courteous to them and be mindful of what they are doing.  So treat me the same. 

But, they don't know that.  So I continue to be respectful and mindful of the cars and control my anger when I'm "mistreated".  And I'll make sure I educate those around me about how to treat and understand those of us biking down the road.  

On the bright side, Strava gave me two QOM's for the segments I was on during my "chase"!!  Lol...   ;)

2 comments:

cyclist-lawyer said...

Next time, Lydia will know to memorize the plates and call it in! Not cool white lexus, not cool.

The Colorado State Patrol's Star CSP (*277) aggressive driver program applies to cycling incidents not just motor vehicle incidents.

StephB said...

Ack. I am so sorry that your QOMs came because of this jerk. Hopefully today's drivers will be way more pleasant.