Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Flat Prevention and Recycling!

This morning I went out to the garage and found I had a front flat.  Boo.  At least I was still in the garage so I changed it easily (with perhaps a bit of grumbling) and went on my way.  But I realized that I haven't had a flat on my commuter bike for about four years.  Knock on wood.

My flat prevention technique is cheap and easy.  I took an old set of tires from my road bike and cut across each tire so it is no longer a circle.  Then I cut the beads off of each tire (the beads are what holds the tire to the rim).  Voila - a bike tire liner!  I put each liner inside of my commuter bike tires and no flats for four years.

I think my flat this morning was caused by a bit of friction where the tire liner overlaps.  Still getting four years out of a tube is pretty good!

P.S. Another way to recycle old tires is to give them to OrthoPets.  They set up collection sites at various races and events throughout the year, and they use your old tires to make prosthetic limbs for pets.  It is really a win win win!

1 comment:

LydiaH said...

What a great idea!!!!