Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Little Things

After two weeks of commuting, I have come to the decision that my bike seat and I must break up.  Since the cyclocross bike is my first road-ish bike, I thought that the stock seat might be OK because I wouldn't need to lean down into aerobars like on my TT bike.  Alas, not so much.  A traditional seat shape and my personal seat are not compatible.

So, I shelled out for another version of the model on my triathlon bike and felt immediate relief.   Sure, it looks weird, but who cares if it is not a torture device!


The moral of the story is that every seat (pun intended) is different and if yours is not working out, don't be afraid to shop around for one that works for you.  No seat should require recovery time or cause abrasions.  Soreness happens, especially when you are building mileage, but abrasions are just plain wrong.

And, while we are on the little things, here are two different videos on how to change a bike tire:

1.  Outside Magazine new video starring Lance Armstrong
2.  Vulcan Bike Wizard (this is how I learned)

When changing the tire, it helps to inflate the tube a bit.  Also, do not forget to confirm that no part of your tube is pinched by the bead.  If a part of the tube is pinched, your tube will explode when you attempt to inflate it which will make you scream and negate all of the badassness of changing your own tire. 

1 comment:

Dawn Orwick said...

This is so true! I've spent countless hours trying out new saddles and have heard all sorts of remarks from the guys at my old bike shop in PA. Everything from, "you'll get used to it", it's just a saddle, there's no way that one can be uncomfortable" and the list continues. Only YOU know what feels right and what works for you. It was so refreshing to talk to some of the guys at my new shop in Littleton about seats b/c they actually "get it"! Every saddle fits differently and every woman has a different seat. :-) It just takes some time and patience to test out different saddles and find the one that works best for you.