Monday, April 14, 2014

Eating right

I had to start by saying my crummy, off-site meeting filled week last week left me feeling very unsatisfied when it came to biking/commuting.  So I was so excited last week to be checking my calendar and see that every day should be a great day for biking to work.  Well... THEN the April snowstorm hit.  Icy, cold, heavy snow.  Yay Spring!  I planned last night to go ahead and bike to work today, hoping, SO hoping that the roads would be ok, and sadly they are not.  So I was forced (for my safety) to drive since I don't have the right equipment for ice riding.

Now, to my point for this post.  I actually had an unexpected realization recently when it came to my nutrition.  I have been trying to lose weight now for a few months and have been relatively successful (all the biking has helped immensely).  Not the greatest thing in the world to eat because they are high in sodium, but diet dinners (like Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, etc) have been my lunches for some time in this weight loss journey.  The problem is biking to work I actually burn about 2200 calories a day and those 400 calorie, low protein meals are not cutting it for me.  So my new task is to find nutritious and healthy meals that keep me fueled up but don't counter the weight loss attempts.  I was gassing out an losing energy very quickly through the day.  Not good when you have to hop back on your bike at 4:30 in the afternoon!!  That lack of energy will kill your motivation.  So here's to eating right, keeping that energy and motivation, and wishing away all the snow!!!!   :)

1 comment:

StephB said...

Maybe a baked sweet potato or some nuts or jerky for your afternoon snack would help?