Wednesday, April 9, 2014

New Commute


My new commute is ridiculously short. Like 1.8 miles short. The school where I work just moved to a new downtown location, and even though my commute is not near long enough, I'm enjoying the downtown energy. I get to ride past my favorite bakery/ coffeeshop every morning. Yesterday, I went to Bike Denver and picked up a bunch of bike maps for our staff and families. A bunch of other teachers have started riding most days, and I've had so much fun helping families figure out the best route to school. We are a K-2 school, and I loved seeing kids roll up on bikes today, their very first day at this new building. I've had a fleet of Striders this year at school, so most kids are getting pretty comfortable riding around. I even had the kids help me put the bikes together. 

I'll still post about commuting adventures for sure, but there might be more about kids and bikes than usual. I'm thinking of starting a little bike train from my neighborhood some days, so we'll see how it goes! Who else out there is riding with kids??

2 comments:

Carol said...

That is so great to be getting kids and families on bikes!! If you need more Striders for your school, or know a family who does, The Axel Project donates Striders. axelproject.com

StephB said...

Cool that you are getting kids and families riding to school! My DH takes our kids to school (sometimes on bikes, sometimes scooters, sometimes walking) every day. There is a prize for getting to school under your own power all year, so our kids are motivated. : )