Sunday, August 3, 2014

Self-employment still allows for bicycle commuting




One month ago, I left my salaried position as the director of Healthier Communities Coalition of Larimer County, which was part of the University of Colorado Health Community Health Improvement Department. I've taken a leap of faith and am now doing business as KBC Communications+. My work includes much writing, media relations, social media management, strategic planning, community initiative facilitation and network/connection building. (My website will be live soon!)

While I operate out of a home office, my work requires I attend meetings and sometimes that I work in a client’s office. I don’t mind either since this type of schedule keeps me bicycling to every meeting and to run every errand possible. After years of year-round bike commuting, giving up that habit would seriously compromise my mental health, which doesn't need to be impacted by anymore risk factors than necessary. 

Plus, the savings I realize by not buying fuel or paying for car insurance helps me have at my disposal more of the hard-earned income I’m making DBA KBC.

So far, this self-employment is everything and more that I’d hoped it would be.