Friday, August 1, 2014

Commuting on the road

This summer has not been a favorable commuting season for me. I have had a more hectic than usual schedule with lots of meetings and things like that and then we have had oddly stormy weather off and on. It's very bizarre and frankly annoying. But I'll tell you what, when I get a day that is favorable for commuting in, I get so excited!  Today I am riding in and I'm giddy over it.  Weird. Maybe. But boy what an awesome way to start and end the day!  We all have things we get excited about, and for me getting on my bike is one.  Don't think if it as being exercise. Rather it's an opportunity to be unique, do something fun, while doing your body a favor.  :)

So something occurred to me this morning when I was riding to work.  The Hottman Law Office published an article recently about the laws and essentially the "rights" of cyclists on the road.
http://hottmanlawoffice.com/blog/14044880/totheright

Here's the thing, regardless of the rights we have on the road, the majority of motorists hate that we are there.  Just this morning I had a truck come dangerously close to me (thinking about getting a GoPro actually in the event that heaven-forbid I do get hit) because he refused to move out of the lane and yelled as he passed by.  I've actually learned to accept it, but it means that I take a more aggressive stance on my position on the road.  At the same time though, I also try to be courteous... meaning when I see a car wait for me to pass, when really they could have gone ahead and turned, I try to go out of my way to smile or wave to them.  Why not be friendly as much as possible... is it possible to change a motorists view of cyclists on the road?  Maybe.  If we all did perhaps we could change people little by little.  I don't know, it's worth the shot.  Even if I change just one persons view, its worth the tiny bit of effort it takes to wave a "thank you".   :)

1 comment:

cyclist-lawyer said...

i agree lydia! you can be the person who leaves a positive impression of cycling on that one person each day with your positive encounter! wave, say thanks, be friendly! it matters for SURE.