Friday, March 28, 2014

Cold Weather Gear

Before we leave the cold weather commuting behind (hooray!), I thought I would do a quick post about what to wear when it is chilly out. If you have never tried winter commuting I think the best thing you can do is to not set limits for yourself. If I had decided that I wouldn't ride if it were below a certain temperature, I would have missed out on many great rides this winter. I loathe to spend money, so rather than buying a bunch of fancy winter gear, I mostly re-purposed my cold weather hiking gear. Here are a few tips if you want to stay toasty without breaking the bank:

1. Layers! I find it useful to wear a breathable 'tech-t' to start and then pile on some layers. I usually make due with fleeces and hoodies. Anytime it is below freezing I always layer a pair of tights under my hiking pants.(You will win no fashion awards for this ensemble, but in the dead of winter it is too dark for anyone to notice anyways!)
2. Gloves! You've got to keep your digits from freezing. Most days I can get away with one pair, but on super chilly days I wear a pair of cheap one size fits all gloves underneath my regular gloves.
3. Don't neglect your toes! I have regular old platform style pedals on my bike, so when the temps dip I opt for wool hiking socks and my hiking boots.
4. Invest in a 'Polar Buff'. They can be worn in numerous configurations and fit nicely under your helmet.
5. Avoid the temptation of wearing too much. As you finish your morning coffee and look out at the icy darkness it can be tempting to try out your own impersonation of that kid from The Christmas Story. You'll probably need less than you think you do, but it really takes a bit of trial and error to know what works for you.



1 comment:

LydiaH said...

Really great advice Tiffany! I was always of the mindset that I had to have the tech gear and fancy expensive stuff to ride in the cold. But that's not true at all! There's plenty of regular cold weather gear that serves this purpose JUST fine!!!