Thursday, March 27, 2014

Just a few things to think of when commuting

So I finally dropped all the excuses and kicked off my season of commuting to work. I have a little over 14 miles each way. So it turns in to 28 miles for me each day. Perfect!!  Really this commute only takes an extra 45 minutes out of my day due to having to sit in traffic most of the time. So I'm getting 2 hrs of exercise, 28 miles, and burning 2200 calories. Love it!!!  

Historically I take the C470 trail to the DTC but I decided I'd rather take Dry Creek all the way across and I liked it. Not sure if it was the hills or the mental engagement (watching traffic etc) vs just following the path. But I enjoyed it a lot.  So as I was riding I was thinking of the key things I find to be most important when riding with traffic. 

1)  Always, always assume that the cars don't see you. You are completely exposed and the drivers of those cars are protected by a bunch of metal. Keeping this mindset I think creates a more cautious and attentive rider. 

2)  If you can, make eye contact with the people who have potential to cut you off. Driving can sometimes be mindless and people zone out not really thinking of a bike approaching.  I make eye contact with people turning left in front of me or those that are coming in from a cross street. People love to do "rolling stops". I for one am guilty of that!!

3)  Hold your line. Don't react.  Cars sometimes are nervous to leave their lane  so they leave very little space between you and their car. So be ready for that close encounter but don't be jumpy.  Jumpiness could cause you to swerve in front of them.

4)  Keep #3 in mind when approaching potholes and manhole covers!  Your bike tires are the same diameter as a car tire and you will likely be fine going over them, but swerving around could startle a driver and cause an accident!!  

Really, if you put all this together it's about being a predictable and respectful cyclist. On our bikes we have just as much right to be on the road as cars, but being a more cautious rider means you'll get to and from your destinations safely!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Love this post Lydia! Great job on the longish commute (mine is 24 a day) and good tips for dealing with traffic.