Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Buff Classic TT

It wasn't my first bike race. It wasn't even my first bike race of this season, but I felt like a total beginner at the Buff classic TT last weekend. I was riding a new Cannondale Slice TT bike, I had a super cool new Kask bambino aero helmet and some pretty fast Zipp wheels. Although I definitely had the gear to ride fast, I proved just how slow you can go even with all the fastest gear.

The course was a 12 mile straight stretch from Lyons to Boulder. There were some rolling hills and some fast straightaways.  My start was slow. I always start slow and figure no big deal because I would make up time on the hills. The first hill came and I was really excited, until I realized I was moving at tortoise pace. Two ladies flew by me and I started to panic. They were at least 30 seconds ahead of me and we were only at mile 3.  I got out  of my aero bars and sat-up. I thought maybe I could pedal harder if I was in a more upright position. My mind was racing at this point and I was willing to try anything. When I sat-up I went a bit faster, but didn't gain enough speed to catch anyone. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was pedaling as hard and as fast as my legs would allow and I wasn't breathing hard. Clearly something was amiss.  I really started to think, and when I really started to think,  I realized that my legs were crunched up and I wasn't getting the benefit of my entire pedal stroke. I might as well have been riding my old pink Barbie bike with glitter paint and metallic streamers blowing in the wind. I begrudgingly grew out of that bike in 5th grade. After my realization my goals changed significantly. I went into the race hoping to finish well. I ended the race hoping to beat someone- anyone. I came up the last hill  and saw Cheryl and Rhonda at the finish. Their cheering gave me a burst of renewed resolve. I finished - and I didn't come in last. Goal complete.

I explained my seat issue to Rhonda and a very nice man at the finish. They confirmed that my seat was too low. I felt like a total beginner. I came home and my very mechanically inclined husband  re-fit my bike. He moved a bunch of parts and adjusted a bunch of pieces. Hopefully my next TT is a better success. I don't want to just look fast, I want to ride fast too.

No comments: