Monday, September 1, 2014

Tour de Fat: Fun and opportunity

My husband and I ready to ride to the beginning of the parade.

This past Saturday was the Tour de Fat in Fort Collins. It's a wonderful celebration of pedal-powered transportation. It brings out the best--and sometimes not the best--in people who like to ride bikes.

Days before the Tour, you can tell people are gearing up for the event. For example, last week I saw a two-story bicycle being pedaled down the middle of one of the City's busy streets. On Friday, I saw a group of people in costumes riding in a large pack against traffic; they were yelling something about doing the Tour de Fort. On the way to the beginning of the parade itself, I witnessed someone who crossed a street divided by a railroad track and thought he was going to crash because he almost crossed the tracks in a parallel manner.

While bicycling is one of the activities I enjoy most, it's also one I take seriously. I want to set a good example of how to ride safe and have fun, too. So, I consider all of the above situations "teachable moments." I admit that I didn't say anything to the two-story bike riding dude and wasn't in a position to approach the wrong-way riding touring group. But I had the perfect opportunity to speak to the guy who came close to getting his tires stuck in railroad tracks and suffering the consequences when he pulled up next to me at a stop light.

In the nicest way possible, I told him I was afraid he was going to crash and suggested that when he cross tracks in the future, he should do so at a perpendicular angle. Much to my surprise, he appreciated the tip and bid me a good day and happy Tour de Fat.

When I take advantage of teachable bike safety moments, I always run the risk of being yelled at or blown off, but I figure if I can help keep one more person from getting injured or worse, it's worth it.

This coming weekend, Denver celebrates the Tour de Fat. If you live in the metro area, I highly recommend you join with thousands of others in celebrating bikes. Proceeds will go to Bike Denver, a nonprofit organization that works to educate people about safe cycling.

Ride on and ride safe!

No comments: