Thursday, May 8, 2014

Biking with the Birdies

My normal routine on nice days is to pack up my bike and accessories, throw the bike in my car, drive to the train station, take my bike on the light rail with me, drop off my bike at the company bike room (yes...I'm spoiled enough to have one!), try to survive another day at work, then bike home. The last few days, with the gorgeous weather, I decided to try my hand at commuting to work, instead of just riding home. What a huge difference!! No longer was I worried about rushing to get to the train station on time or having to listen to the person next to me with their earbuds blasting. Nope! I simply woke up, threw on my cycling clothes, grabbed my work clothes and bike and headed out the door. What a liberating experience!! It was so nice cruising along the Platte hearing only the birds chirping and seeing the smiling faces of the other commuters who were out and about on a beautiful sunny morning. After the almost-1 hr ride to work, I found myself walking to my desk much more relaxed, happy and ready to face the day. I could hardly wait to get back on my bike and head home that afternoon! When 5pm hit, I grabbed my backpack and without worrying about missing my train or being delayed, I ran downstairs, changed and headed out the door. It was great to ride along and just enjoy my 2nd ride of the day. The next day, I admit I was super excited to do it all over again! This time, on my ride in, I saw baby geese running all over the trail (still in the cute fuzzy stage!) and met a really nice woman on an beautiful Kona singlespeed. We chatted as we came by Elitch Gardens and I thought, "wow...now this is something that wouldn't happen on the train!"


Moral of the story....As apprehensive as I originally was to do a morning commute and throw off my 'routine', I couldn't be happier that I did and can't wait to hit the trails again tomorrow morning!

2 comments:

StephB said...

Hooray for you! Morning rides rock!

LydiaH said...

Oh nice!!! I'm glad you started doing this. Keep me in mind when your company has openings, k?! ;)