Saturday, May 10, 2014

A girl has to have protection

Women are delicate and fragile, like flowers, right? Well, some women may subscribe to this description, but not me. I'd like to think I'm pretty...pretty tough, that is. I work hard and I play hard. That's why I need protection I can depend on.

Oh! You think I mean that kind of protection. Think again. I mean protection that will keep me as safe as possible while I engage in my adventurous pursuits. That's why I just treated myself to a new bike helmet.

I planned to get a new helmet sooner than later since mine's three years old*, but yesterday while I was hosting a bike ride from Loveland to Fort Collins, Colorado, for a group of local, regional and state policymakers and transportation planners, I noticed the styrofoam shell inside my helmet is cracked. I haven't crashed* with my helmet and I treat it well, so I was shocked to find the crack which rendered my helmet relatively useless protection wise. That discovery made the decision as to when to buy a new helmet easy--as soon as possible, like right after the event ended. So I went directly to Lee's Cyclery in south FoCo.

A friend of mine recently showed me her new helmet made by POC, a Swedish company, and I immediately developed helmet envy. Not only are POC helmets cool looking (kind of space-age Star Wars Stormtroopers looking), but POC helmets are equipped with MIPS (multidirectional injury protection system) which "mimics one of the safety systems which already exist in the human head" allow them to provide the best head protection currently on the market. Of course, a possible downside to POC helmets is that they're expensive, but I'd like to think the contents of my head are worth the investment. I'll just work a little harder to pay for it. Teaching Traffic Skills 101 classes on May 20 and June 6 at Hottman Law Office in Golden will help.


Lee's didn't have the style or color in stock that I want, so they ordered one for me, but as luck would have it, the color I want, Radon Blue, is back ordered. Not knowing how much time it will take for my new helmet to arrive, Lee's gave me one of the store's brand new Bontrager demo helmets to use in the interim. My old one is now in the trash.

I'll model my new POC once I receive it. Until then, thanks to Lee's, I'm protected.

*One of the widely accepted rules of thumb as to when to replace a helmet is after three to five years of use because the interior shell begins to deteriorate from UV rays, environmental pollutant, human sweat and cosmetic products, like hair gel or spray. But if you crash even once with your helmet, replace it.

1 comment:

mb said...

I wish those fit me! I have a weird head, and POC just doesn't fit it. Anyone tried the new Smith Forefront yet? Those fit me great, but would love feedback from someone who's ridden in them.