Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Just One More Ride

After a long holiday break, lots of snow and way too much traveling, I finally got in my first bike commute of 2017. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that getting ready was a $hit show. I couldn't find my panniers and cold weather gloves, and the roads...oh the roads! Too many crunchy, icy spots to get the mind twitchy, the blood pressure up and the nerves rattled for a morning commute. But it wasn't as bad as I anticipated, and it was about time I got back into the commuter groove.



In 2016, I set a personal goal to #ridemoredriveless, for my health, my wallet and the environment. I even moved closer to Denver to ease up my overall commute time (and in protest of $17/day parking fees). I tested different assumptions about bike commuting - everything from required attire to lighting systems, from managing time to get to work and energy to commute and still ride for fun, and most importantly, how to manage my energy expenditure (aka sweat) and helmet head so I could arrive appropriately bright-eyed and professional.

My biggest mantra was simply to get on the bike and don't over think it. I learned to commute in a dress (and still prefer it to kitting out!), that donning a helmet with slight damp hairs = KILLER hair for the day, that a pan of brownies rides pretty well on a rear rack, that Colorado's network of bike paths are incredible and that panniers are everything.


Just for fun, I tallied my commutes for 2016. 99 total commutes to work, running errands and as a means of alternative transportation. One ride shy (if only I was paying attention!) and now sets my new goal for 2017. Here's to 100+ in 2017.





No comments: