Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Biking as a part of life...

Oh my gosh, I have been so busy lately, I just realized that it's been a month since my last post!  Man alive how time get's away... I'm on my work computer trying to get some work done too as I have a two week vacation rapidly approaching.  This feels like a much better use of my time.  Hahah!!!

So back in the last week of March, I was preparing for 30 Days of Biking that was to kick off on April 1st.  I got started before April figuring I'd get myself in that rhythm.  April came, as did snow, bitter cold, wind, rain, then warmer days, sun, and dry ground.  And through all of that, I rode my bike every single day.  There were a couple days that I barely made it a mile... like the day in April the sleeting snow was blowing so hard I couldn't even see.  But for the most part, I've either had a purpose for my ride, like the 3.5 miles to the grocery store or I've ridden at least five miles.

April ended and I thought, well geeze, I'm up to 37 days, why not just keep going?!  So I did... through a horrible chest cold, traveling out of state on road trips, pink eye, and late night rides just because that was the soonest I could get to it.  But here I am, day 83.  That's 83 days in a row I've ridden my bike.  I've not allowed myself the luxury of just hooking up to my trainer, my wheels actually hit the ground.  And even if it's just a quick 5 mile (ends up being about twenty minutes) ride, I still do it.  And I love it.  It doesn't mean it's been easy, but I tell you, it's been such a good mental therapy for me.

I've read several articles recently about the power of exercise (biking, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, whatever), and it's very powerful.  I can be stressed to the max, but I get out on my bike at 9:30 at night, turn on my light and cruise around in the cool, crisp air, and I feel completely reenergized.  I really have a love affair with my bike...  Shhh... don't tell  my husband.  ;)

I am supposed to go on a four day trip with my sisters from Denver to Vegas to Twenty Nine Palms and then to San Diego, and at first I was thinking, oh well.. that'll be the end of my steak.  But I can't let it go.  I want to keep going!!!   It's addicting...  so now begins the challenge of trying to work in a five mile bike ride each day without inconveniencing those around me (too much).

HAPPY BIKING!!!!!

No comments: