Thursday, February 27, 2014

Riding when sick?

Reprinted from meganhottman.com blog post:

to ride, or not to ride? ...that is the question...when you're down and out with a head cold.  Which I presently, unfortunately, am.

There are many, many articles on this topic posted by cycling coaches and exercise gurus, all over the internet.  

The common saying is, "if it's above the neck, it's ok to train, if it's below the neck, rest up."  

 A bit of exercise is considered good for strengthening your immune system, but too much can weaken you, making your cold or symptoms worse.  Bottom line, remember that training is catabolic in nature.  It breaks you down, on purpose. So if you feel like 100% of your body's energy needs to be spent fighting the bug that's got you down, don't engage in catabolic -er training -activities.  Training while sick means you will require extra rest, extra fluids and extra calories.  So if you can't afford to stick a nap in after your ride when you're under the weather, skip the ride and just opt for the nap. 
And keep the intensity to a minimum! My personal preference is to focus on more strength-oriented riding/training so that I am not breathing heavy. 

Since I'm battling a scratchy throat and stuffy nose, I've opted to continue riding this week -but at low intensity and with TONS of fluids and extra rest added.  I leave for a trip Sunday and do NOT want to be sick or get worse while I'm there! 

 Other OTC/herbal remedies I recommend: Kick Ass Immune (stuff kills me to take it, it tastes absolutely awful- but I think it works), Echinacea, Emergenc-C, hot water with lemon juice and honey, NyQuil (the bomb) and loads of fresh fruits for vitamins!  Also dressing up super warm (especially for indoor workouts) and "sweating it out" or standing in a hot steamy shower seems to help the head symptoms feel better/flush it out.

Here are a few articles on the topic if you'd like to read more:

1 comment:

LydiaH said...

I definitely try to keep active when I'm just a little under the weather. I went running this morning even though I also have a sore throat and am really feeling a bit "lethargic". I feel like it just helps me sweat out the bad toxins. So I hope that I also don't get really sick!! Stay Healthy!!!