Thursday, July 5, 2018

Commuting for summer Saturday Open water swims

Summer Saturdays have become my new favorite day of the week for one reason .....commuting by bike to my open water swims!

I have used my commuter bike which is a Salsa warbird, great bike with knobby tires and makes it easy to travel along the stable Road in Chatfield, specifically when Chatfield was under construction.

I have tried two modes of packing this summer, one with a salsa waterproof bike frame bag and the other a backpack. Although I like not having weight on my back, I found the salsa warbird bike packing frame to sag and rub my wheel. After doing some research, it turns out I did not have it packed down properly, and now that I have learned to do this correctly it is great to have the weight on the bike frame and not on my back and shoulders, specifically before and after swimming.

Below are a list of items that I pack for open water swims:
Wet suit  (Sleeveless currently, but started with full sleeve early season)
Swim cap (Insulated swim cap for temperatures less than 65° early season)
Goggles
Wax earplugs
Sunscreen
Body guide to prevent chafing on my neck
Snack
Bike helmet
Jacket (early season for chilly mornings)
Sunglasses
Socks
Cycling shoes 
Towel to dry off after swimming
Cycling gloves
Bike lock

Commuting by bike really paid off for me this year specifically, as Chatfield was under construction and driving my car around to the east entrance took an extra 25 minutes. By bike from my home I could get there in around the same time adding maybe 10 minutes and getting a 20 mile ride in round trip which was a bonus!  Not to mention the fresh air, seeing other cyclists, and enjoying the hot air balloons over Chatfield reservoir in the mornings. I’m always amazed at how much I can see and what I notice by bike that I would not if I were driving my car.  Parking can be a hassle as well, but parking my bike against the fence by the gravel pond sure isn’t! 😀. 
I am so grateful I am able to commute on these beautiful Colorado summer days, train for triathlons, chat with other cyclists, all because of the mode of transportation I have chosen. Another bonus is by the time I get home my wetsuit is virtually dry! 🚴‍♂️❤️😀
























 
 



No comments: