Friday, May 18, 2018

Getting started Commuting - Riding to the Ride!


Before I get started with Aimee's commuting experiences and my tips with getting started communicating, let me provide you some background context.

I have never considered myself a "bike commuter", a cyclist of varying disciplines, yes, but bike commuting seemed different or foreign to me. And when it all boils down I love riding in the dirt, whether it be on my mountain bike or my new found love for gravel grinding I just feel at home and happy when my two-wheels hit the natural surface.


Needless to say, I love cycling and I take a lot of pride and have the best experiences when I can help others drink the cycling kool-aid like I have. To help others see the amazing benefits that can come from a life on two-wheels is what makes me believe in the Bike Ambassadors mission.

Each year I set my sights on a goal that is both physically and mentally challenging for me and my bike. Over the years I've challenged myself to events like the Dirty Kanza (100 miler) and the Bailey Hundito, but in 2018 my focus is a bit different. And while I still plan on doing a couple long, physically challenging cycling events, I've challenged myself to a life of commuting by bike more often and practicing what I preach; #ridemoredriveless.

So how does one tackle a life of riding more and driving less? Finding ways to incorporate commuting that are consistent with me. This is where my journey starts and believe me I don't have all the answers and I'm stoked to share my progress, my tips and tricks that I learn this year with all of you.


It's all about one day at a time and staying consistent with who I am. I live in an area where we are fortunate to have double-digits worth of singletrack trail within a short commute from my back door.

Aimee's getting started commuting tip number one:

  • Ride to the Ride - I love mountain biking (have I mentioned that?). When I started thinking about how to get myself accustomed to commuting by bike I really adapted the mantra of "commuting in ways that stay consistent with myself". I knew first hand that if I could connect commuting with something that was already really ingrained in me, I might be able to make it stick. So here is where I've started. Unless I've been invited on a group ride in a neighboring community I ride my mountain bike to every ride. Not only does it help me warm up so I can really enjoy the singletrack, it takes me back to being a kid, when times were simple and my bike was the only way I was going to get anywhere and every time I ride to my ride I feel that same empowerment I did 20 some odd years ago when my bike opened up a world of possibilities. 
This is a work in progress, so stay tuned to our blog for more tips and tricks as I embark on building a lifestyle focused on riding more and driving less.


Cheers,
Aimee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're truly an inspiration! Ride on Cousin��‍♀️