Tuesday, December 13, 2016

New Year's Resolution v. Goal Setting

It seems that every December the conversations of New Year's Resolutions begin.  I think goals are great and give purpose to something that we may not otherwise do, but I always cringe when people say "oh my new year's resolution is.....(insert lofty aspiration here)..." because for most people, it will only last about 2 months.  If you don't believe me, stop by any gym on March 1st and see how crowded it is.  ;)

Knowing all of this, I have to ask, why do we wait until Jan 1st to start working towards our goals? Why not start them when we realize we have a goal that we want to reach?  Why do we feel the need to wait until a new calendar is posted on the wall to commit ourselves to something we want?  And honestly, if our goals are health-oriented or activity-inspired, the best thing we could do, in my opinion, is to start them before...yep, I said it BEFORE...the holidays to keep us feeling healthy and on track!!

I've also heard a lot of folks and articles say that say if you tell people your goals, then you're more likely to reach them. With that being said, I will share with you my 2017 goal.

My goal is to compete and be competitive at Track Nationals in 2017.  Phew.  I said it and it's now out there for the world to see.  I think I need a drink..... ;)

A few months ago, while riding at the Boulder Valley Velodrome, I decided that I wanted to dedicate myself to track racing in next year.  However, devoting more time to riding my track bike was too vague and since goals need to be created with substance and definition, I decided that competing Track Nationals would be my goal.  Not just to show up and race (because I could do that just by buying a plane ticket), but my goal would be to train and show up as the best and most competitive version of myself.

After talking to a few key players about this, I made the decision to hire a coach and make this hair-brained idea a reality! I did some research on local coaches, talked to other athletes and coaches and found someone who I am confident can help take my passion for cycling and focus it onto the track.

When I first met with my coach, he asked when I wanted to start my training.  For a split second I thought "well...the holidays are coming up...which means lots of parties and skiing and fun....", but what I told him was "I want to start ASAP".  While I may miss some of the fun that my friends will be having this winter, I will remain committed to myself and my goals and urge you to do the same.  
Image result for giordana velodrome rock hill sc

Keep your eye on the prize and don't stop pedaling! :)
#tracknats17 #rockhill
 



No comments: